Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Okonomiyaki Day

I was kind of kidding about the whole starving comment, but we do tend to go to the 500 yen and under places instead of the 800 yen and up places. We still get a lot of food and I've yet to be disappointed. Except for that 200 yen single piece of tempura. Today we had... something that starts with an O. I think it's Okonomiyaki. It was wonderful. They're kind of like pancakes with toppings baked inside. I forgot to take a picture at the start, so here's one of my mostly eaten dish. And also Christ and Shin. And me and Shin.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Shin is Christ's friend, who is super awesome and our new best friend. He grew up in Fukuoka and wants us to enjoy it, and knows all the good places. He's taking us to the zoo sometime and speaks really good English so we were actually able to talk. He was shocked it's my first time out of the country and said he'd buy me a handkerchief if I got homesick and cried, and also offered to help me learn if I needed it. Anyway, we all tried each other's food. I got cheese, Christ got beef, Shin got two (something and mochi, which is a kind of rice paste). The mochi was a shared one for tasting purposes. Cheese was my favorite. A lot of people didn't like it apparently, or at least the sauce, but I thought it was amazing and me and Christ plan on returning sometime. Though a few people just sat there, didn't eat, and then went to Sunny (the grocery store) afterward.

Speaking of Sunny, last night we watched Paranormal Activity on the big screen in the projector room. It was scary. I was grabbed from behind twice during it, once by Chris and later by Brice, and it was terrifying. Chris screamed in my ear when he did it, and I screamed every time anything happened. Then more creepy ideas were put into my head and we have this long running joke that's horrifying to me and hilarious to everyone else. I'm trying to ignore it. It's like... funny, but still terrifying at the same time and it freaks me out.

But, after the movie I joined Christ and Brian in watching True Blood, though I had no idea what was going on. They ran out of episodes so we took a 11:30pm Sunny run and each got a snack and a drink that we split with the others to taste test things. Mostly bread. They have a ton of bread. In short, it was all pretty amazing. I have two bags of assorted bread to try because late in the day the bakery bags them up randomly and sells two bags for 300 yen.

Anyway, that was last night. This morning I woke up and went to class, the Natural World of Japan. It was admittedly boring and I wanted to sleep. But I didn't. It was all introductory stuff so I'm hoping the actual field trips and things will be awesome. She did have a lizard in a vial though. She passed it around and one of the Korean girls screamed and dropped it when she realized it was alive.

Later, I was talking to Kisha in the lobby and we both have the same sized foot so we decided we'd someday go shoe shopping together. I need some good walking shoes that aren't super painful super quick and they have some really awesome shoes here. Then people went to class, I hung out in my room until I was called to dinner, I met Shin and we ate, we left, Edwina and Brian were drawn into an arcade where they played Time Crisis, we left and returned to the dorm, Shin left, me, Christ, Chris, and Brian went to Don Quixote for various things (I got soda and soap), we all did our Japanese homework together(ish), I showered, I returned to my room to get online where I am now, and I'm heading to bed very soon.

P.S. - Mosquitoes here are miserable.

No comments:

Post a Comment